LGBT+phobia Contact Form

CUSU LGBT+ considers the welfare of LGBT+ students at Cambridge a priority. As such we are keen to hear and follow up on any kind of discrimination or LGBT+phobia that occurs in the University and in the town with a zero tolerance policy. If you would like to report an incident or incidents of LGBT+ phobia directed at yourself or other people, please use the survey below. All responses will be anonymised, and there is an option to be contacted about follow up if you wish to do so. Your email will be sent to our welfare officer, Sophia Andrews. You may also specify any of our reps for the email to be forwarded to, e.g. our trans rep, disabilities, grad etc. For security the responses are handled completely internally on this server.

If you were the subject of the harassment, please describe the incident, including relevant names, places and times. However, if you were a witness to a person being harassed please do not give details of the person in question e.g. their name without explicit permission.
Please specify any reps you would like this report to be forwarded to.

If you like to be contacted about follow up from this report, please enter your e-mail below. Please note this is entirely optional and by doing so you will not be entirely anonymous.
Thank you for filling out this survey. We hope that as a result we will be able to prevent this from happening again. If you or someone you know is in need of immediate crisis assistance, or would just like to talk through your experiences, there are a number of things you can do:

- Call 111 and ask to be referred to the Cambridge first response team for urgent crisis help
- Apply for university counselling sessions here:…,
- Contact Switchboard, an LGBT+ help service via e-mail, IM or phone (details at


Here is a list of resources that may be useful if you or someone you know experiences an incident of LGBT+phobia, or if they need support/are facing a difficulty/incident related to their LGBT+ identity.  

Urgent incidents

  • Emergency Services – Call 999 if you or someone else is in immediate danger.
  • Cambridge First Response Team – Call 111 and ask to be referred to the Cambridge first response team for urgent crisis help. This is useful if someone has experienced a crime/violence but is not in immediate danger, or is in a mental health crisis but is not in immediate danger
  • The Samaritans – You can call the Samaritans, a mental health charity that provides a free, confidential 24-hour helpline, on 161 123 if you’re having a mental health crisis or need general mental health support. You can also see them in person at their central Cambridge office (with step free disabled toilet) just off Christ’s Pieces. For information about what happens when you call The Samaritans, click here.

LGBT+ specific general support

  • SwitchboardSwitchboard is an LGBT+ charity that can provide free, confidential support via a phone helpline, email or online instant message.
  • Albert Kennedy Trust – The Albert Kennedy Trust are a charity that provides support to young LGBT+ people living in the UK with housing difficulties/who are homeless/at risk of becoming homeless. You can get in touch with them here.
  • Our committee – There are lots of great people on our committee, some of whom run their own mailing lists. They run regular events, which are advertised on the main mailing list as well as on their own lists. They’ll be happy to receive an email from you or just have a chat about what they do. CUSU LGBT+ currently has a Bi/Pan Rep, Women’s Rep, Ace/Aro Rep, Disabilities Rep, BME Rep and a Trans and Non-Binary Rep.
  • FUSE – There is a society, FUSE, for LGBT+ BME people – if you identify as BME and LGBT+, check out their events, or get in touch with them.
  • College LGBT+ Reps – Each College tends to have an LGBT+ Rep on their JCR/MCR committees, who you can approach for support.

General support from the University

  • University Counselling Service – The UCS provides free counselling to all students, including group meetings and workshops. Be sure to mention if you require step-free access as not all their rooms are accessible. You can also request a BME counsellor. You can apply for sessions with the University Counselling Service here.
  • University Sexual Assault and Harrassment Advisor – The SAHA is a specialist support worker emplyed by the Unversity who provides emotional and practical support to anyone who has been raped, sexually assaulted, or harassed, recently or in the past. You can get in touch here.
  • Students’ Unions’ Advice Service – SUAS are an advice service made up of a number of trained professionals, and co-managed by CUSU and the GU. You can contact them by email, phone, or by attending drop-in sessions, and they offer appointments in person or by phone or Skype. They can help students with any problem, from academic to personal, and are based in the CUSU/GU lounge at 17 Mill Lane.
  • Your tutor – It’s a good idea to keep your tutor informed if you have anything going on in your life which could impact upon your time in Cambridge – after all, they will be your main contact if any official procedure needs to be followed, whether it’s financial, academic or something else. They’re good for explaining the systems within the university, and can do things like talk to your DoS or your department on your behalf. Other tutors or your senior tutor should be able to help if your tutor in unavailable. The welfare officers in your college should be able to help if you’re not sure who to ask. General support from outside the University
  •  The Samaritans – You can also call the Samaritans on 161 123 if you need general mental health support, or get in touch via email, writing a letter, or by visiting them in person.
  • NightlineNightline support all Cambridge University and ARU students via a helpline from 7pm to 7am in term time. Call them on 01223 744444.
  • Centre 33A charity that give support and information to young people. You can call them on 01233 316 488, email them or drop in to 33 Clarendon St, Cambridge.
  • Your GP – is a good person to talk to you about any medical issues, including mental health ones. International students can also visit them for free.
  • Sexual Health Clinics – This website below is a great resource to book an appointment to get tested – it will tell you when all the local clinics are free. The tests running at each clinic may vary, so be sure to check that the clinic you book runs the kind of test you need.