web analytics

Practical information

Practical Information: within the University and Beyond

I am actively seeking suggestions for this page. If anyone has something they would like to see added or to contribute, then please let me know.

How can I change my name with the University?

If you change your name and/or title by deed poll (http://www.ukdps.co.uk/AdviceForTranssexuals.html) while you are at University, you will need to let the University know.

This is really simple. If you are a graduate student, this can easily be achieved by taking your deed poll, passport or gender recognition certificate to the Board of Graduate Studies (BoGS). They will take a photocopy and will notify your Department and College and change your name on CamSiS. http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/gradstud/current/yourinfo/personal/name.html

You will also need to make a visit to the University Card Office to obtain a new University Card.

Can I change my CRSid after I have changed my name?

Yes, it is possible to change your CRSid with the Computing Service, but your old CRSid will only be valid for a limited amount of time after your new CRSid has been issued.

Can I change my gender on CamSiS?

Currently, no. CamSiS holds your University records. Unfortunately, you cannot change your gender currently on CamSiS. The University is constrained by the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA). http://www.hesa.ac.uk/index.php/component/option,com_studrec/task,show_file/Itemid,233/mnl,10051/href,a%5E_%5EGENDER.html/

HESA allows three options: male, female, and indeterminate, where indeterminate may only be used for intersex and not for other transgender people. Unfortunately, HESA requires “biological” sex (read ‘sex assigned at birth’) where they ask for gender. We are working to change this policy but so far without success.

Can I change my title on CamSiS or have my title removed?

Yes, it is possible to have your title changed or removed. Graduates need to write to the Board of Graduate Studies to change this.

How can I change my legal gender with the University if I have a Gender Recognition Certificate (GRC)?

I cannot find a page anywhere on this. I have written to Equality and Diversity and hopefully they will get back to me with a clear explanation of where this information can be found.

Can I wear the clothes of the gender I present as to my graduation ceremony?

Yes. Cambridge academical dress is highly gendered. In order to make sure that you can wear the academical dress of the gender you present as or which you prefer, speak to your Tutorial secretary (who will then speak to the Praelector), and you should then be allowed to wear the correct academical dress to graduation. If there are any problems, you can write to the Senior Proctor, Mr James Trevithick (King’s College) at senior.proctor@cam.ac.uk.


Who can I contact if I have any problems or difficulties?

The official Cambridge department with responsibility for compliance with the Equality Act 2010, under which transpeople’s rights are protected, is Equality and Diversity (http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/hr/equality/characteristics/gender/, email equality@admin.cam.ac.uk). However, we would recommend that your first port of call be the CUSU LGBT Trans rep (lgbt-trans@cusu.cam.ac.uk), who can help you to mediate any issues in confidence.